D. Jeramy Ashlock has performed research in instrumentation development, dynamics of soils and foundations, deep foundations, computational mechanics, non-destructive surface wave testing of soils and pavements, and granular road stabilization. He developed the automated version of the soil borehole shear testing device, which is now sold by Handy Geotechnical Instruments Inc. He also developed a servo-hydraulic inertial shaker system for full-scale testing of pile foundations for the National Science Foundation (NSF) Network for Earthquake Engineering Simulation (NEES), and he developed a custom resonant column testing device for soil and rock. Dr. Ashlock currently serves as vice chair of ASTM Committee D18.09 on Cyclic and Dynamic Properties of Soils and is a member of ASTM Committee D18.02 on Sampling and Related Field Testing for Soil Evaluation.
- PhD, Civil Engineering, University of Colorado Boulder, 2006
- MS, Civil Engineering, University of Colorado Boulder, 2000
- BS, Civil Engineering, University of Colorado Boulder, 1997
- Associate Professor, Department of Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering, Iowa State University, Ames, 2016–present
- Assistant Professor, Department of Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering, Iowa State University, Ames, 2009–2016
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, University of Colorado Boulder, 2007–2008
- GRL & Associates, Engineering Assistant, Boulder, CO, 1994–1997
- Bridge Diagnostics, Inc., Engineering Assistant, Boulder, CO, 1994–1997
- Lin, S., J. Ashlock, and X. Li-Li. 2023. Phase-velocity and intercept-time scanning (PIS) technique for extracting experimental dispersion characteristics of surface waves. Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, Vol. 164.
- Lin, S., T-H. Yi, J. Ashlock, S. Shams, F. Shi, and Y. Wang. 2022. Analytical computation of the dominant dispersion trend of Lamb waves in plate-like structures with an improved dynamic stiffness matrix method. Structural Control and Health Monitoring, Vol. 29, No. 11.
- Lin, S., T-H. Yi, J. Ashlock, and N. Gucunski. 2022. Forward modeling of Rayleigh surface waves for analytical characterization of dominant dispersion trends. Earthquake Engineering and Structure Dynamics, Vol. 51, No. 1, pp. 240–255.
- Cheng, Z., S. Sritharan, and J. C. Ashlock. 2021. Behavior of a Pile Group Supporting a Precast Pile Cap under Combined Vertical and Lateral Loads. Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, Vol. 147, No. 9, 12 pp.
- Lin, S., J. Ashlock, and B. Li. 2021. Direct estimation of shear-wave velocity profiles from surface wave data for geotechnical site investigation. Géotechnique.
- Ghasemi, P., M. Aslani, J. C. Ashlock, R. C. Williams, and V. R. Schaefer. 2021. Evaluating gantry crane-way pavement performance: An inverse approach. Transportation Geotechnics, Vol. 27.
- Satvati, S., A. Nahvi, B. Cetin, J. C. Ashlock, C. T. Jahren, and H. Ceylan. 2021. Performance-based economic analysis to find the sustainable aggregate option for a granular roadway. Transportation Geotechnics, Vol. 26.
- Jiang, Z., and J. C. Ashlock. 2020. Computational simulation of three-dimensional dynamic soil-pile group interaction in layered soils using disturbed-zone model. Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, Vol. 130.
- Genc, D., J. C. Ashlock, B. Cetin, and P. Kremer. 2019. Development and Pilot Installation of A Scalable Environmental Sensor Monitoring System for Freeze-Thaw Monitoring under Granular-Surfaced Roadways. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, Vol. 2673, No. 12, pp. 880–890.
- Li, C., J. C. Ashlock, and X. Wang. 2019. Quantifying Repeatability Reproducibility Sources of Error and Capacity of a Measurement: Demonstrated Using Laboratory Soil Plasticity Tests. Advances in Civil Engineering, Vol. 2019, 11 pp.
Professional Affiliations, Honors, and Service
- Elected to 1-year terms as Member-at-Large of ASTM D18 Executive Subcommittee, 2020, 2021, 2022
- Chair, ASTM sub-committee D18.09 on Cyclic and Dynamic Properties of Soils, 2017–2018, 2019–2020, 2021–2022
- Reviewer, ASCE Journal of Engineering Mechanics and ASTM Geotechnical Testing Journal
- Outstanding Reviewer Award for 2020, ASCE Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering (Awarded May 5, 2021)
- Excellence in Face-To-Face Instruction Award (for Fall 2020), ISU COVID-19 Exceptional Effort Awards Program (Awarded January 5, 2021)